How To Start a Clothing Business in India? [A Complete Guide]
Table of Contents:
1. How To Start A Clothing Business?
2. steps to start a clothing business in india, 3. clothing business in india, 4. how to start a clothing brand in india, 5. clothing business in india- how to get your brand noticed, 6. how to start an online store: step-by-step to start an online clothing store., 7. how to start an online store in india for your fashion and apparel business.
Readymade garments are a 3 trillion dollars industry, and over one trillion clothes are sold worldwide every year. As per McKinsey’s FashionScope data, the Indian apparel market will be worth over $59.3 billion by 2022, and India will become the sixth-largest garment manufacturer in the world. The market growth is due to a rising population and a growing, aspirational middle class. It is a huge market with space for everyone-big and small.
A clothing reseller or retailer sells apparel to the public after buying them in bulk from a manufacturer or a wholesaler. There are many types of garments to sell. You have to first select a niche category and cater to that demographic segment; it can be boys, girls, men’s, or ladies' clothes. There are also specialty garment shops that cater to a specific group and have a loyal customer base.
Proper planning is the key to start a clothing retail store. You have to find a suitable location to set up a shop, develop a good business plan, and source the right inventory at the perfect price. To successfully start a retail clothing business in India , you can follow this game plan:
Write down your goals A great way to start is to note down what you wish to accomplish with your apparel retail business. For example, you may have a goal to open 5 stores within the next 10 years. Or you may want to successfully expand a stand-alone store.
Step 1- Prepare A Business Plan
You should prepare a business plan for how to run the garment business. A business plan is necessary to obtain financing, and also provide you a road-map. It includes the following: advertising and marketing strategy, business financing, hours of operation, managerial and staff selection, and the manner in how a business will be conducted. Register your apparel retail store with proper government agencies and obtain the necessary permissions and licenses .
Step 2- Location
The location of your store should be in a high-traffic area where lots of people can walk through the area and see your clothes. For example, leasing a store in a shopping mall which has lots of foot-traffic, might be a good idea. Apart from the main showroom, you should have a space to receive and tag merchandise, a small employee lounge, and office space. The location of your store should be such that people can see the storefront from the road. If it is easily visible, then there are more chances of people coming and checking your store.
Step 3- Style Selection
Before opening a readymade garments store, you have to decide on the type of clothing that you would like to retail. You may opt for men’s wear, women’s wear, or children’s wear, or it could be a combination of these. A good idea will be to conduct market research to identify whether or not your market would support a certain type of apparel. For example, your area might need a new women’s ethnic wear store.
Also Read: Best Clothing Brands in India
Step 4- Marketing Strategy
You should put a plan in place to catch the attention of potential customers and get them to purchase garments from your store. A good marketing plan should convince customers that your clothes are better than your competitor’s. All your marketing decisions will depend on your business plan. For example, if you want to sell apparel targeting men over 40, you may want to advertise in a local magazine or newspaper, that is read by that demographic. Social media will also play an important role in your marketing strategy.
Step 5- Financing
If you don’t have your own money to invest, you can fall back upon your friends or family to help you out. You can also reach out to an investor, or take startup loans from a bank. Crowdsourcing is also a great way to finance your clothing business.
Also Read: Clothing Manufacturers in India
Step 6- Technology
Retailers must adopt technology and new ways of meeting a buyer’s needs. The Covid-19 crisis has caused the retail landscape to change overnight. Shopping habits have shifted to online. But though online demand is rising, retailers can lose in sales, if a product is not available online, though it is in stock in stores. The solution to this is an optimised Order Management System (OMS). Retailers have to be data-driven and use tools that make visible every available product on all channels to increase sales. Your sales advisors can process online orders and can also enrich the customer experience by offering personalised shopping services such as pre-booked appointments.
Step 7- Sourcing
Research online to find merchandise vendors who carry clothing that you want to sell. Email or call them to say that you want to buy from them wholesale for selling at your store. Visiting trade shows is another option to buy wholesale merchandise for your store.
Also read: Jeans manufacturers in India
Clothing retailers are located across the country and are also on the internet. Most of these retailers need wholesale merchandise for reselling to customers. This is where distributors of apparel come in. A wholesale business provides a link between retail stores and consumers and can be a lucrative venture. An apparel wholesaler usually sells garments in bulk to businesses. First, you have to decide on the garments that you would like to sell. You can choose a special category like women’s wear, or you can pick a particular clothing brand.
Then you have to find suppliers for the clothes that you intend to retail. One of the ways to do it is to go to a company’s website and apply for a distributorship. Visit apparel stores in your area to find a customer base. It is a good idea to start with the local ones since they have the authority to purchase from a new supplier, i.e., you. It is a good idea to bring samples of clothing for the manager or owner to see.
You will be identified by the product that you will sell. So, your focus should be to provide the best quality clothing. Selling bad quality apparel will make you lose your reputation, and perhaps your business. On the other hand, selling good quality clothes will help you to grow your customer base. A garment distributor should stay abreast of all the current fashion trends and able to offer them to his customers. You have to buy or lease a warehouse with an overhead door to make incoming and outgoing shipments easier to handle.
Also Read: Best Watch Brands in India
Every iconic brand has an origin story. Most successful clothing brands are created by people who are passionate about clothing. Here we will share with you some tips on how to get clothing brand started :
1- Develop Your Brand Identity
Brand identity is the public profile of your clothing brand. So, choose a brand name, logo, and slogan that matches your collection, and what you want to convey. Customers like brands with a compelling story, so weave that into your logo and brand name.
2- Social Media Branding
You should pay a lot of attention to your Facebook page profile picture cover and the short description below it. Most visitors see this at first glance. So, you have to work on the image and description, so that it makes a lasting impression. You should put the following details:
- Hours of operation.
- Mobile number.
- Website address.
These details are significant to determine how your business will appear in search results. Facebook also has an internal search, and if people like your page, your brand will get more eyeballs.
Also Read: Best Kids Clothing Brands in India
Marketing is the key to ensure that your brand stands out in the crowd. Communicate to your customers what your brand is about, and why you do it. Let the world know about your products and what differentiates them from other competing brands. Remember that you are your brand’s number one marketing person!
- STEP 1- CREATE YOUR ONLINE PRESENCE: First, create a clean, professional-looking website and use a domain provider to secure a web address that matches your business. Make your website visually appealing; it should match with the apparel that you would like to sell. For example, if you want to sell clothes to teenage girls, design your website so it’s fun and cute with bright colours. For the best results, you can hire a web developer to create your website.
- STEP 2- USE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR YOUR BENEFIT: Social media is an integral part of marketing your products. You can add a link to direct visitors to your website and increase its traffic. Start an Instagram for your business to advertise the sale and to share photos of your inventory. Create a Facebook page to share content that will make people aware of your business and will also increase engagement.
- STEP 3- STAND YOUR NICHE: Clothing Business In India- be it retail or wholesale is a very profitable and promising business if done with dedication and hard work. We hope that the above article will incentivise you to start this venture.
With the dawn of the pandemic, online business in India has boomed drastically. Retail businesses and companies are going online since then, but have you ever wondered how would online fashion shopping work? What are the customers need, what's your target audience or how would you start marketing your online clothing store; let us discuss them below:
- Get a domain for your website, and hire a web designer for customising and development.
- Designing your Store- Online or offline all stores require a custom theme that'll showcase your brand, menu navigation, add about section page, contact information, privacy, return, and shipping policies, etc.
- Design your Product Catalogue and assist in making the right purchase like- size chart, reviews, live chat support, and virtual try on.
- Customise your cart, add various payment methods on checkout, add shipping fees, and coupon codes if applicable.
- Customise emails via email marketing strategies.
- Partner with a delivery company, and provide customers with a tracking facility for their products.
- Also, offer ‘pick up at store’ for people living in the same neighbourhood or city.
Stay updated with new business ideas & business tips with OkCredit blogs in English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi & more! Download OkCredit now & get rid of your bookkeeping hassles. OkCredit is 100% Made in India.
Q. How to start a Clothing Store Business in India?
Ans- The clothing business in India is one of the most prominent industries in India. Follow these steps to understand how to start a clothing store business plan in India:
- Gather funding and Investment for business
- Fulfil your GST Registration
- Be precise in Picking Location
- Start via small scale don't go big upfront
- Do competitive market research
- Be creative and curate original styles/items
- Find reliable Distributors and Suppliers for filling Stocks
- Decide what to Sell
- Hire trusted Staff for your Store
- Choose the Right hours of Working and Operation
- Offers Attractive Discounts to attract Customers
- Manage inventories with Bookkeeping via OkCredit
Q. How can I get a license to sell clothes in India?
Ans- After choosing your business entity and filing the needed paperwork for the same you have to register within your city(if applicable). The licenses mandatory for a clothing business in India are Gumasta license, Sole Premonitory/Partnership/LLP/Private Limited, TIN/PAN/TAN, VAT & CST for eCommerce.
Q. How much money do you need to start a clothing store?
Ans- Initially, to start a clothing business in India you will need a minimum capital from 5,00,000 to 10,00,000 Rupees. This amount will cover all from location to business license costing.
Q. How to Start a Clothing Brand in India?
Ans- The things needed to start a clothing brand in India are as follows:
- Solid Business Plan
- Choose your Target Market Audience
- Prepare a Solid Business Model
- Obtain all needed Permits & Licenses
- Establish Business Contacts
- Curate a Marketing Portfolio
- Participate in Exhibitions, Shows, etc.
- Email Marketing and Press Releases
Q. Is clothing a good business?
Ans- The Clothing store business is one of the most profitable and successful businesses in India. If you plan and manage your cash flow properly, you can start obtaining profits within your first year of venturing into the clothing market.
Q. Is it hard to start a clothing business?
Ans- Every business in the world comes with its own list of pros and cons and if there isn't proper planning, execution, reliable staff or decent funding your clothing startup can be doomed towards failure. So plan well and market better to become successful and earn profits.
Q. Where can I sell clothes online for free?
Ans- Generally free websites aren't available in India, as they all require some nominal mandatory charges. However, here are some popular websites to sell your clothes online in India are:
- Facebook Marketplace
Q. How successfully sell clothes online?
Ans- Some easy tips for selling your clothes online are as follows:
- Focus on your Niche style to promote
- Take time to understand and research the market
- Be creative with packaging and providing a personal touch
- Launch seasonal collections to keep up with the trend
- Manage your Labels
- Check competitive website pricing before putting your own
- Have good quality photographs with better descriptions
- Ensure second-hand items are in good condition to sell & ship
Q. How can I start a clothing business with no money?
Ans- You can try crowdsourcing, ask your friends or family to invest or reach out to banks for a small startup loan to begin your business. You can reach out to investor and prove your brand value and get going.
Get the best business ideas, small business tips & read more about technology for small businesses by Utpala Ghosh.
Cable manufacturers in india [5 best manufacturers], air compressor manufacturer in india [top 11 manufacturers], pet bottle manufacturers in india [top 7 manufacturers], paint manufacturers in india [6 best manufacturers], silk saree manufacturers in india [best manufacturers], you might be interested in, foreign direct investment(fdi) 101: a complete guide, series funding [types, how it works and more], sustainable architecture ideas that can improve our lives.
Clothing Business Plan
Business loan at lowest interest rates.
- Offers from India's top banks & NBFCs
- Easy, transparent & convenient processes
- Quick disbursals
Apply Loan to Start Your own Clothing Business
*Offers are from Paisabazaar's partner Banks & NBFCs.
Verify your mobile
Please enter the OTP we sent via SMS
In the modern era, the apparel market has played a significant role in our society where fashion dominates. It has made a physical and psychological impact on our lives and it has become a desire for people to look smart and trendy. Some people dress well to feel more confident, to get others’ attention, some wear it for the comfort it provides, the reasons can be endless. Hence clothing industry is one of the industries that keeps flourishing no matter what financial crisis might be prevalent in the market.
Also Read: How to take loan for a startup business in India
11 Steps to consider before writing a Clothing Business Plan
1) The first and foremost step is to find what kind of work you desire in the market. On this basis, there are 3 possibilities
a) On-demand/direct to garment printing b) Wholesale customization c) Designing and creating
2) It is really important to research the market and look at demographics to understand what kind of clothing you are specializing in; sportswear or formal wear, luxury or cheap whichever is the most appropriate for your target audience.
3) After that, it is important to develop your budget for investing in equipment, licensing fees, insurances, rent for a location, supplies, staff, marketing, etc.
4) Then decide the base of operation of your preference, either you are doing it from home or moving into a shop/store/studio. Keep in mind that to expand your business you would require a working space and with that, you can start expanding your business.
5) Plan on the equipment you require, such as tailoring machines, printing machines, silk or cotton threads or any other fabric, blank clothes, etc.
6) Create a proper brand name, it should have an impact on people and should be memorable, easy to spell and unique.
7) For starters make a prototype design which you plan on releasing into the market. After creating the prototype have the product on sale for a limited time and ask the customers for their feedback about the design and comfort level.
8) If you are planning on creating a big brand, you would require staff members for handling different fields of work for your clothing business or line up.
9) Start mass manufacturing of the selected designs by getting in touch with a manufacturer, supplier or if you have the equipment units available, you can produce them yourself.
10) Keeping in mind the latest trends, test out new products, as clothing business requires a lot of testing and understanding the needs of the target audience.
11) Implement proper marketing strategies which may include paid promotions, connecting with your customers through social media and interacting with them is very important as well.
Apply for Business Loans for Small Businesses Apply Now
Also Read: Business Plan – Elements, Types & How to Write a New Business Plan
Marketing strategies for the Clothing/Garment business
- Promotions through social media platforms, advertisements, flyers, pamphlets, radio, and through television can help to attract customers
- Create an e-commerce website for your clothing/garment business, as people mostly opt to buy things online
- Setting up a social media handling team for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other platforms to interact with customers and have an online presence
- Use the pricing strategy for ranging products from baseline to the premium line and encourage customers to check all the available options
- Increase your reach through the help of influencers and fashion bloggers through paid promotions or sponsorships
- Make use of the technology to its fullest by using artificial intelligence, in the form of chatbots which can provide 24×7 customer services to guide them through. Keep track of customer’s purchase lists to provide them with better recommendations
- Visuals are an important key factor for fashion brands that depend on aesthetics to attract and keep customers
- Regularly conducting giveaways and contests can help in the sale of new products. It can help in bringing a lot of traffic to your website and business
- Creating a style guide for your customers regarding how to carry your clothing, wardrobe hacks, etc. helps in building up trust with the customers
- Providing services to order online and get it delivered to the customer’s place with multiple payment options
Apply for Business Loan @ low interest rate Apply Now
Important points to remember
- A reserve of designs should be made beforehand, as trends go out of fashion quickly
- The steps should be taken based on the market scenario, as the market is somewhat saturated with the presence of competition
- The business won’t grow at once; it would require some time to settle and to get customers
- Old inventory becomes insignificant with time
- There is no overall stability of profit over the year. Profits are produced in seasons and new releases, but during the offseason, sales might go down
- Personal Finance
- Today's Paper
- Madhya Pradesh Elections
- Rajasthan Elections
- Telangana Elections
- Chhattisgarh Elections
- Mizoram Elections
- Partner Content
- Social Viral
How to start a clothing business in India? Here are the simple steps
Do you also want to set up a clothing business in india, as this industry is growing rapidly over time here are the steps to follow to start your clothing business in india.
Start your clothing business in India
1. do your research, 2. develop a business plan.
- Executive summary
- Company description
- Products and services
- Market analysis
- Marketing and sales strategy
- Operations plan
- Financial projections
3. Choose a business structure
Despite dip in sales, india's clothing market expands 15% on price hike, pro kabaddi league 2023 to kick-start on dec 2; 12-city caravan returns, arcelormittal looks to rope in indian climate tech start-ups to go green, indians may soon be able to shop for 'indiasize' garments: textile ministry, expect sideways movement in market with focus on smallcap and midcap space, top 10 business ideas with low investment in rural areas, villages in india, now, a savings account that offers up to 7.5% interest : details here, how to activate a dormant ppf account here are the steps to follow, sovereign gold bond: 5 reasons to buy sgb as subscription date ends today, robust inflows in july and august 2023: arbitrage funds are back in favour, 4. get the necessary permits and licences, 5. find a supplier, 6. set up your store, 7. market your business, 8. provide excellent customer service, 9. keep up with trends, 10. set realistic sales goals.
First Published: Sep 15 2023 | 6:09 PM IST
- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
- Income Tax Calculator Uniform Civil Code Asia Cup 2023 Elections 2023 Stock Market Today Latest News Income Tax in India Telangana Election Result LIVE Rajasthan Elections 2023 LIVE Assembly Elections Result LIVE
- One 97 Communications Share Price Adani Wilmar Share Price TCS Share Price Wipro Share Price LIC Share Price Adani Green Share Price BHEL Share Price Reliance Share Price SBI Share Price HDFC Bank Share Price Indiabulls Share Price
Get the Tata Capital App to apply for Loans & manage your account. Download Now
- Personal Loan
- Business Loan
- Vehicle Loan
- Loan Against Securities
- Loan Against Property
- Credit Cards
Personal loan starting @ 10.99% p.a
- Instant approval
- Overdraft Facility
All you need to know
- Rates & Charges
- Documents Required
Personal loan for all your needs
- Personal Loan for Education
Personal Loan for Travel
Personal Loan for Medical
Personal Loan for Marriage
Personal Loan for Home Renovation
Check Your Credit Score
Higher credit score increases the chances of loan approval. Check your CIBIL score today and get free insights on how to be credit-worthy.
Home Loan with instant approval starting @ 8.70% p.a
- Easy repayment
- Home Loan Online
- Approved Housing Projects
Home Loan for all your needs
- Home Extension Loan
Affordable Housing Loan
Plot & Construction Loan
- Balance Transfer
Home Loan Top Up
- PMAY Calculator
Balance Transfer & Top-up Calculator
- Area Conversion Calculator
- Stamp Duty Calculator
Register as a Selling Agent. Join our Loan Mitra Program
Business loan to suit your growth plan
- Collateral-free loans
- Customized EMI options
Business loan for all your needs
- Machinery Loan
Small Business Loan
- GST Calculator
- Foreclosure Calculator
Looking for Secured Business Loans?
Get secured business loans with affordable interest rates with Tata Capital. Verify eligibility criteria and apply today
Accelerate your dreams with our Vehicle Loans
- Flexible Tenures
- Competitive interest rates
Explore Used Car Loans
- Used Car Loan
Loan On Used Car
Explore Two Wheeler Loans
- Two Wheeler Loan
Used Car EMI Calculator
Two Wheeler EMI Calculator
Get upto 95% of your car value and book your dream car
A loan upto ₹5,00,000 to own the bike of your choice
Avail Loan Against Securities up to ₹40 crores
- Quick access to finance
- Zero foreclosure charges
Explore Loan Against Securities
Loan against Shares
Loan against mutual funds
- Loan Against Securities Calculator
Avail Loan Against Property up to ₹3 crores
- Loan against property
- Business loan against property
- Mortgage loan against property
- EMI Options
Loans for all your needs
Empowering Rural India with Microfinance loans
- Quick processing
Want To Know More?
- Working Capital Loans
- Equipment Financing & Leasing
Commercial Vehicle Loan
- Explore all Business Loans
Digital financial solutions to aid your growth
- Simple standard documentation process
- Quick disbursal
Most Popular products
Purchase Order Funding
Working Capital Demand Loan
Sub Dealer Loan
Financing solutions tailored to your business needs
- Quick approvals
- Flexible payment options
Our Bestselling Products
Letter of Credit
Lease Rental Discounting
Avail Term Loans up to Rs. 1 Crore
- Customise loan tenures as per your needs
- Get your loan processed, sanctioned and funds disbursed digitally
- Equipment Finance
Avail Digital Equipment Loans up to Rs. 1 Crore
- Attractive ROIs
- Customizable Loan tenure
Avail Leasing solutions for all asset classes
- Up to 100% financing
- No additional collateral required
Ensure your business’ operational effeciency with ease
- Wide range of equipments covered
- Minimum paperwork
- Construction Finance
- Construction Equipment Finance
Wealth Services by Tata Capital
Personalised Wealth Services for exclusive customers delivered by a team of experts from a suite of product offerings
- Inhouse research & reports
- Exclusive Privileges & Offers
Financial Goal Calculator
- Download forms
Moneyfy by Tata Capital
A personal finance app, your one-stop shop for comprehensive financial needs - SIP, Mutual Funds, Loans, Insurance, Credit Cards and many more
- 100% digital journey
- Start investing in SIP as low as Rs 500
- Mutual Funds
Protect your family against unforeseen risks
Avail any of the Insurance policies online in just a few clicks
Bestselling insurance solutions
Home & Travel Insurance
Protection Plan & other solutions
Retirement Solutions & Child Plan
Quick Links for loans
- Used Car Loans
- Loan against Property
Loan Against securities
Quick Links for insurance
- Car Insurance
- Bike Insurance
Saving & Investments
Cancer care Insurance
- Wellness solutions
- Retirement Solution Plans
- Child Plans
- Home Insurance
- Travel Insurance
Choose from our list of insurance solutions
Retirement Solutions & Child Plans
Quick Links for Loans
Cancer Care Insurance
Offers & Updates
Download the moneyfy app.
Be investment ready in minutes
Take a Tata Capital Home Loan
Lowest interest rates starting at 8.70%*
Apply for a Tata Card
Get benefits worth Rs. 18,000*
Sign in to unlock special offers!
You are signed in to unlock special offers.
- Retail Customer Login
- Corporate Customer Login
- My Wealth Account
- Dropline Overdraft Loan
- Two wheeler Loan
Quick Links for Insurance
- Term insurance
- Savings & investments
- Medical insurance
- Cardiac care
- Cancer care
- Rate & Charges
Loan Against Shares
Loan Against Mutual Funds
Compound Interest Calculator
Home Insurance & Travel Insurance
You will now be redirected to www.tatacard.com website.
By proceeding, you are acknowledging the above & accepting the Terms and Conditions as specified here.
- Loan for Home
- Loan for Business
- Loan for Education
- Loan for Vehicle
- Personal Use Loan
- Loan for Travel
- Loan for Wedding
- Capital Goods Loan
- Home Repair Loan
- Medical Loan
- Loan on Property
- Loan on Securities
- Wealth Services
- What’s Trending
- RBI Regulations
- Equipment Lease
- Circulating Capital Loan
- Construction Loan
- Leadership Talks
- Dealer Finance
- Shubh Chintak
- Government Updates
- Lockdown News
- Finance Solutions
Tata Capital > Blog > Loan for Business > How To Start A Clothing Brand In India
How To Start A Clothing Brand In India
Readymade garments have high demand. McKinsey’s FashionScope data suggests that the Indian apparel market will reach a target of $59.3 billion by 2022. It will make India the sixth-largest garment manufacturer worldwide. In this age of instant gratification, people want customized clothing styles. The changing aspirations of the Indian middle class, digitally savvy customers, and strong economic growth are key growth drivers for the clothing sector in India. These positive trends make people wonder how to start a clothing brand to optimize the demand for quality clothing.
Such people may show great design sense, artistic expertise and passion to create a brand. They could market various designer brands under one roof or market an established brand’s line of clothing. So, there are various ways how to build a clothing business in India.
This guide on how to start a clothing brand in India covers everything from developing a business plan to design, license and permits, and much more.
What is a Clothing Brand?
A clothing brand is a collection of products launched under one brand name. It is designed for a certain demographic or clientele. It can be offline via retail shops or on online platforms. One can showcase high-end designer labels to trending styles all under one roof. A brand identity could lead to more profits for the business if conducted properly.
At times, you may want to consider how to start a clothing business online . So, think of various business aspects like permits, target audience, broader business goals, insurance and the like. Such factors tend to influence how a business operation takes place.
Follow the below steps on how to start your clothing brand to ensure a smooth and successful business transition.
How to Start a Clothing Brand in India?
If someone wants to know how to start a clothing brand, they should consider the below steps.
1. Develop a Business Plan
The first step is to create a business plan. It helps evaluate the set-up and operational costs, funding source, market competition, etc over the short and long term. In addition, a business plan can also put business ideas into perception. For example, a business plan could tell what customer needs can be addressed by the launch of the clothing brand. Projections are also a key component of the business plan and branding strategy.
2. Evaluate the Target Customer
Just having a business plan will not be enough to help you crack the idea of how to start a clothing line. Focussing on the target market/audience/niche area will help determine the business scope and viability in the market. For example, they could focus on manufacturing maternity wear, teen clothing and so on. Similarly, they could select certain demography, buying habits, climates etc. when narrowing down the target. Focussing on the targeted customer needs and preferences helps assess demand for clothing in the market.
3. Implement a Business Model
The next step in how to start a fashion brand in India is to have a business model in place. A business model helps specify the operational aspect of the clothing brand business. It means the brand owner can design the product on an individual or a wholesale scale. Or else, it can be sold only to retailers or to certain outlets.
4. Apply for Licenses and Permits
A key criterion of how to start your clothing brand in India is to have the necessary licenses and permits in place. Licenses and permits are specific to the place of business operations. It could be registered as a Private Limited Company, Limited Liability Partnership, Proprietorship and so on. Whatever the case, the clothing brand must be registered. If the business involves the set up of an establishment or shop, then the Shop and Establishment license must be obtained from that State Government. Having the relevant licenses and permits ensures that all legal formalities for establishing a clothing brand are met before the actual operations begin.
5. Maintain a List of Contacts
When thinking of how to start a fashion brand, having a list of the various business contacts is important. The contact list includes suppliers, distributors, publishers, boutique owners and customers.
6. Conduct an Exhibition
After deciding on the contact list, developing the collection/catalogue book, pricing etc. the next step would be to exhibit the clothing line. A clothing line will gain visibility and traction only when the products are shown around. So, when someone plans to launch their clothing brand or line, they need to conduct an exhibition. Invites should be specifically sent to the people from their contact list. The exhibition should be made available to the general public as the case may be.
7. Develop a Marketing Portfolio
An exhibition will help get a limited audience. If the business owner wishes to target a larger audience they must get their marketing strategies right. Also, if they want to know how to start a clothing business online, an offline exhibition may not give the desired outcome. Developing a marketing portfolio based on select pieces of the clothing line will attract customers. Such a portfolio would not have the price or size details.
8. Create a Promotional Strategy
Plans on how to start a fashion brand will not hold ground if the entrepreneurs do not develop the right promotional strategy. For example, a famous fashion model may give the brand a much-needed boost. Similarly, press releases can help a clothing brand thrive. By sending press releases to potential buyers/customers, media/editors and boutique owners, the owner can promote their brand adequately. Further, it can gain traction if it collaborates with a known e-commerce platform. Such a strategy could give the brand the much-needed impetus during its initial years.
While starting a clothing brand is a good business option, it is anything but easy. So, when thinking about how to make a clothing brand successful in India, entrepreneurs should consider the various factors that impact it. Knowing how to start a clothing brand in India will ensure smooth business operations and visibility.
Lenders like Tata Capital offer business loans at attractive loan terms. These include affordable interest rates, flexible repayment options, hassle-free processing, and quick disbursals. For more details, visit the Tata Capital website.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
Most Viewed Blogs
Top 10 Profitable Big Business Ideas In India
Different Types of Business Loans & How to Choose the Right Business Loan for Your Needs
Best Low-Investment Business Ideas In 2023
How To Start A Dropshipping Business In India
10 Profitable Agricultural Business Ideas for Farmers and Entrepreneurs
How to Start Scrap Business in India?
How To Start Organic Farming in India
Working Capital Meaning – Importance & Advantages
How To Start Real Estate Business In India?
Personal Loan EMI
Home Loan EMI
Business Loan EMI
Used Car Loan EMI
Two Wheeler Loan EMI
- Media Center
- Branch Locator
- Tata Capital Financial Services Limited
- Tata Capital Housing Finance Limited
- Tata Cleantech Capital Limited
- Tata Securities Limited
Tata Mutual Fund
Tata Pension Fund
- Tata Code of Conduct
- Master Terms & Conditions
- Vendor Feedback Form
- Rate History
- Ways to Service
- Our Partners
- Partnership APIs
- Tata Capital Limited
Our Private Equity Funds
- Tata Capital Healthcare Fund
- Tata Opportunities Fund
- Tata Capital Growth Fund
Most important terms & conditions - home loans.
Download in your preferred language
Policies, Codes & Other Documents
- Tata Code Of Conduct
- Audit Committee Charter
- Affirmative Action Policy
- Whistleblower Policy
- Code of Conduct for Non-Executive Directors
- Remuneration Policy
- Board Diversity Policy
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Practices and Policy on determination of legitimate purpose for communication of UPSI
- Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption Policy
- Vigil Mechanism
- Composition Of Committees
- Notice Of Hours Of Work, Rest-Interval, Weekly Holiday
- Fit & Proper Policy
- Policy For Appointment Of Statutory Auditor
- Policy On Related Party Transactions
- Policy For Determining Material Subsidiaries
- Policy On Archival Of Documents
- Familiarisation Programme
- Compensation Policy for Key Management Personnel and Senior Management
- Fair Practice Code
- Fair Practice Code - Micro Finance
- Internal Guidelines on Corporate Governance for TCFSL
- TCFSL - Audit Committee Charter
- Composition of Committees
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption Policy
- Whistle Blower Policy
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Practices and Policy for determination of Legitimate Purpose for Communications of UPSI
- Policy for Determining Interest Rates, Processing and Other Charges
- Investor Information and Financials
- Board Diversity Policy and Director Attributes
- Auction Terms & Conditions
- Notice of Hours of Work, Rest-Interval, Weekly Holiday
- Policy on Resolution Framework 2.0
- Policy for Appointment of Statutory Auditor
- RBI Circular on Provisioning
- Policy on Archival of Documents
- Grievance Redressal Policy
- List of Terminated Vendors
- Compensation Policy For Key Management Personnel And Senior Management
- Dividend Distribution Policy
- Materiality Policy for Disclosure to Stock Exchanges
- NHB registration certificate
- KYC pamphlet
- Fair Practices Code
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Home Equity
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Offline Quick Cash
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Digital Quick Cash
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - GECL
- Most Important Terms & Conditions - Dropline Overdraft
- GST Details
- Customer Grievance Redressal Policy
- Recovery Agents List
- Legal Disclaimer
- Privacy Commitment
- Investor Information And Financials
- Guidelines On Corporate Governance
- Policy Board Diversity Policy and Director Attributes
- TCHFL audit committee Charter
- Code of Conduct For Non-Executive Directors
- Code of Corporate Disclosure Pracrtices and policy On determination of Legitimate purpose
- List of Terminated Channel Partners
- Policy On Resolution Framework 2.0
- RBI Circular On Provisioning
- Policy for Use of Unparliamentary Language by Customers
- Policy for Determining Interest Rates and Other Charges
- Additional Facility
- Internal Guidelines on Corporate Governance
- Board Audit Committee Charter
- Customer Grievance Redressal
- Policy For Determining Interest Rates, Processing And Other Charges
- Code Of Corporate Disclosure Practices And Policy For Determination Of Legitimate Purpose For Communications Of UPSI
- Policy On Board Diversity And Director Attributes’ (Policies Section)
- Compensation policy for Key Management Personnel and Senior Management
- Prevention Of Money Laundering Policy
- Policy For Accounting Of Tax In Respect Of The Tax Position Under Litigation
- Cyber Security Policy
- Conflict Of Interest Policy
- Policy For Outsourcing Of Activities
- Surveillance Policy
- Anti-Bribery And Anti-Corruption Policy
- Code Of Conduct For Prevention Of Insider Trading
Tata Capital Solutions & Services
- Loans for You
- Loans for Business
- Overdraft Personal Loan
- Wedding Loan
- Travel Loan
- Home Renovation Loan
- Personal Loan for Govt employee
- Personal Loan for Salaried
- Personal Loan for Women
- Small Personal Loan
- Required Documents
- Application Process
- Affordable Housing
- Business Loan for Women
- MSME/SME Loan
- Mutual Fund
- Emergency Credit Line Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS)
- Credit Score
- Structured Loans
- Commercial Vehicle Finance
- Personal Loan EMI Calculator
- Personal Loan Pre Payment Calculator
- Personal Loan Eligibility Calculator
- Home Loan EMI Calculator
- Balance Transfer & Top-Up Calculator
- Home Loan Eligibility Calculator
- Business Loan EMI Calculator
- Business Loan Pre Payment Calculator
- Loan Against Property EMI Calculator
- Used car Loan EMI Calculator
- Two wheeler Loan EMI Calculator
- APR Calculator
- Personal Loan Rates And Charges
- Home Loan Rates And Charges
- Business Loan Rates And Charges
- Loan Against Property Rates And Charges
- Used Car Loan Rates And Charges
- Two Wheeler Loan Rates and Charges
- Loan Against Securities Rates And Charges
Top 10 ideas For How to Start a Clothing Business in India
Young professionals have a propensity to quit their everyday jobs and launch their independent businesses, particularly starting a clothing brand. Since we have job expertise in the apparel sector, we focus on finding business prospects there. I've given several small company concepts that are tied to clothing as a commodity and others that are solutions for the apparel industry with this in consideration.
Any company can be launched on a small size. If you belong to a similar community, you might find the information on clothing-related small company ideas interesting. Here are some ideas for you when you plan starting a clothing brand.
1. Setting up a small scale garment factory
Depending on your own expertise in production or designing, you may start a small clothing business where you can think of starting a clothing brand. Establishing a production facility for ready-to-wear clothing is regarded as the best small-scale business concept. You really ought to employ just a few tailors plus support staff in order to increase manufacturing.
Produce clothing and market it to wholesalers or retailers in your area. On e-commerce websites, you can choose items and then offer your designs as well. You must first choose the item or item category that your facility will produce before you can start setting up a small-scale clothing manufacturers operation.
2. Contracts based selling for garment stitching
You must establish a textile mill to engage in garment subcontracting. Create a tiny factory and perform job-work (contract work) for both domestic and international apparel companies. Clothing exporters place more orders throughout the purchasing seasons than they can produce. They hunt for job-workers or subcontractors to fulfill those contracts on schedule. You don't have to deal with customers or buy raw supplies to run this firm. You must obtain trimmings from merchants and sew clothing. Some brands inspect the items' sewing, stitching, and packaging.
3. Wholesale clothes business
Amongst many other small company concepts, this is a worthwhile endeavor. Throughout the wholesale clothing industry, you buy large quantities of clothing from many apparel companies and producers. These are disseminated and sold to clothing stores afterwards. In your leisure time, you can establish a wholesale clothing company. Purchase clothing from major production centers and deliver it to stores in tiny towns. You will make a good profit in this enterprise if you buy products in large quantities and straight from manufacturing centers.
4. Opening a retail clothing store
In a local city or town on a busy street, or within a complex in a metropolitan area, you may establish a clothing retail store or an access point that will give you an opportunity for starting a clothing brand. If you go with this approach, you must determine the product category you'll be focusing on marketing. You are aware that there are many various product categories and price points. If you go to a market around your city, you'll discover that not all of the stores provide the same selections of clothing. Choose the product category based on your interests and budget.
5. Exporting the garments
Cheap clothing from multinational apparel companies that are of export grade is in trend right now. Many of the younger generations in big cities really would like to look fashionable and wear designer clothes, but most are hesitant to spend a significant amount of money within the company's retail stores. So they search for spare clothing for export.
Thus, starting a storefront for excess and export-rejected pieces by clothing manufacturers is a smart and successful business move. If you currently work in or have worked previously in the clothing industry, you are aware that manufacturers produce more clothing than what is ordered by consumers. Sometimes an entire purchase is turned down because of a quality problem or shipping delay. Purchase factory excess inventory of clothing and resell at profit.
6. Starting small embroidery unit
In the production of clothing, painting and needlework are real worth operations. In the current fashion time, designers constantly add certain colors and patchwork to their creations to make them trendy. Therefore, all sales volumes, with the exception of a few basic products include printing or embroidery labor, or both. The clothing manufacturers enterprises must make additional financial investments to set up in-house Printing and Beading equipment. You must pay for staffing as well as servicing. Inside the end, they won't use all of the printing and sewing machines' capability.
7. Setting up garment cleaning facility
The washing of fabrics and different kinds of garments is necessary at different phases of the clothing production process. Secondly, customers ordered washed clothing with a variety of final looks and hand feelings. Small producers lack a washing facility for themselves. This choice might be viewed as being one of the market's potential. The clothing manufacturers generally do not provide these services.
8. Starting garment sourcing facility
An apparel procurement agency acts as a middleman between apparel companies and clothing labels. They receive orders from customers and complete the garment manufacture there. A purchasing agent chooses its suppliers based on the item's category, order quantity, and purchaser's contractor selection process. The process of choosing a supplier for clothing is not predetermined. While smaller stores delegated all vendor responsibility, larger businesses engaged their employees in the recruitment process.
9. Garment consultancy services
You may have developed your knowledge and abilities in a few particular fields when exploring for starting a clothing brand. Anyone can start consulting services when you have a desire to teach people and are capable of resolving issues that clothing factories, purchasers, and supporting businesses confront on a regular basis. Although consulting services are not extremely common in the garment business right now, manufacturers will seek professional advice in the coming, particularly in regards to cost minimization and improving factory efficiency.
10. Customized garment selling
The customized t-shirt printing industry became well-known at the beginning of this period when the idea of starting a clothing brand became successful. Individual consumers or groups of customers that work in the custom printing industry create their own designs, order t-shirts or polo shirts available on the internet, and have the finished products shipped at their homes. Although it has been overloaded, this market opportunity still seems to be available.
Many business owners hope starting a clothing brand with unique labels for specific products.Just now, this post included ten suggestions for clothing businesses. Based on your skills and connections, you could launch one of the following 10 business options. If you can establish your clientele and area of expertise, every business can be successful. Yes, the garment supply chain offers a wide variety of additional business prospects. The main goal is to provide you with a concept that will motivate you to look into creating a small company in the garment industry.
Related Blog Posts
Liability to Pay GST in Certain Cases: Revised Draft GST Law
GST on Development Rights: Same War, Different Weapon
Streamlining the GST system for 2023-24 with expected Changes
How to add an expense on the web
Looking for a billing software.
Easy Steps to Start Your Own Clothing Business in India
Every well-known brand has a history. A clothing brand that now dominates department shops may have begun as a modest enterprise conducted out of a budding fashion designer's cave. While launching a fashion business is difficult, with the aid of e-commerce and digital marketing, you could be able to turn a small online platform into a regional favourite.
Consider the following before starting a fashion label
- Starting a clothing brand requires a lot of time and effort.
- There will undoubtedly be difficulties, especially if this is your first business.
- This isn't to mean you shouldn't try to achieve your goals. If you believe your heart is genuinely in the world of fashion, then you need to do all you can to turn your fashion brand a reality.
Step-by-Step Guide to Starting a Clothing Line comprising primarily of beautiful gowns for women, in 10 Easy Steps
1. determine a market requirement:.
A successful clothing brand will not be built on its founder's ego. Consider a market niche that hasn't been served before. Is this a shirt suitable for a formal occasion? Would it be a line of ladies' gowns that attractively accentuate someone's contours? Determine what product must emerge that a large apparel brand does not already offer.
2. Make a business plan:
This will direct your career as a fashion designer and producer. Think about the following scenario: What is the end goal for this product? Do I want to be a brand name for Nordstrom and Macy's? Do I want to launch my luxury brand for a shop such as Zara or H&M? Would I want to start a high-end collection that will be sold in a Mumbai or Delhi boutique? Decide on your goal and consider that while you build your brand.
3. Decide who you wish to contact:
This stage is almost identical to the previous one. Your objective is to identify not only a garment that must exist but also a market for that product like ladies gown . Young individuals, for example, are style-conscious and will be more sensitive to advertising and promotion as well as brand knowledge, but they may also be financially constrained. Customers who are mostly middle-aged be able to afford a high price, but they are less concerned with trends and have already committed to a brand.
4. Begin creating:
Assuming this is your strong suit, now is your moment where you can try to shine creatively. The very first series you offer the public will say a lot for you as a designer, so ensure it's something you'd be proud to use as a calling card in the future. Think practically at the same time. Whatever you create would have to be manufactured at a reasonable price. Being a competent clothing designer requires a balance between ideals and realities.
5. Find a manufacturer of clothing:
Unless you want to obtain, mould, and stitch all of your materials yourself, you'll need a production partner. Perhaps you're just searching for someone to help you with your ladies gown manufacturers or home studio clothing production. Perhaps you're looking for a fabric merchant. Although you may desire to visit the manufacturer in person, budget-conscious beginner manufacturers will have to do their entire screening process over the phone and by email. If your fashion goals grow less ambitious—such as a brand logo placed over contemporary ladies dresses or casual clothing—you might be able to make your items locally, such as at a nearby print-on-demand printing factory.
6. Choose a brand name, logo, and market segment:
This entails choosing a corporate logo, a symbol, and, if necessary, a tagline. It requires creating a website with an e-commerce platform like Myntra. Customers love companies that can tell a good narrative, so incorporate one into your branding, symbol, or webpage. By the end of the development cycle, this task should be finished. As soon as you've completed this process, you'll be able to sell your items.
7. Pick a price range for your goods:
This step entails determining and analyzing your target market. Choose a pricing structure that matches your manufacturing costs without alienating the clientele you'll have to get your clothing business off the ground.
8. Start the marketing campaign:
Your new venture requires brand recognition at this time. Many Instagram bloggers are willing to showcase new fashion businesses in return for merchandise, and Instagram has now become a prominent forum for this.
9. Set distribution targets and attainable sales:
Don't hesitate to team up with a business expert to take this move. Even though you have a sense of fashion doesn't imply you understand how clothes are distributed. You may continue to develop according to your company plan if you meet your sales targets.
10. Begin with a small launch:
Try to begin with a small launch and then work your way up to more money and collaborations. Once you have evidence of a build you can sell in limited numbers, you're prepared to bring in potential business partners and co-investors. Yes, completely owning your company and retaining all future profits would be great. However, most firms will require extra money as they expand. The most common approach is to employ a business partner who can provide financing in exchange for a portion of future earnings.
Starting a garment business requires specific skills and expertise
Even though they were self-taught, designers such as Christian Lacroix and Vivienne Westwood achieved enormous success. They, too, began their professions before the internet. We live in an age of accessibility when anybody can learn how to rebuild an automobile or tailor a t-shirt by viewing a YouTube video.
Although it is possible to work in the fashion business without attending school, formal education, whether in a classroom or on the internet, has its benefits, including learning the latest quality standards, gaining control over resources and expertise, making contacts, and receiving feedback.
Identification of critical success factors
Recognize your target market and competition.
To begin a new clothing company, you must first determine what individuals in your sector want. What exactly are they searching for? What colours and styles will be popular this season? Where can I get these things now (both offline and online)?
It is critical to conduct research before establishing a clothes business. Attempt to answer the following questions:
What are my opponents up to?
With my brand and branding strategies, who am I trying to reach?
Select your specialty or target market.
The most crucial decision to make when starting a clothing company, the most critical decision is which niche to target. Your company can target one or two markets, such as clothing for specific seasons, such as winter or swimwear .
Finding success might be more difficult when developing for a complete gender spectrum rather than simply men or women. You may establish a more concentrated brand image and business strategy by narrowing your target demographic.
Create your clothes or accessory line
It might be intimidating to design your first collection, but it doesn't have to be. You might begin by researching and purchasing current popular designs or producing a few unique and beautiful gowns for women of different age groups. It's critical to think about what buyers desire and how you will scale up the design's manufacturing if necessary.
Choose your product's pricing point
Establishing an apparel & fashion line may be challenging, and one of the essential decisions you'll make is how to price your things. You'll need to consider how successful your firm will be and how much clients are ready to pay for your stuff.
Clothing may be sold in various ways, either online or in physical places such as department stores. Discounts and sales are widespread in the clothes retail sector, so be prepared.
Recognize how much revenue you require to stay afloat
It's critical to understand how much revenue your clothes company will require to stay viable. Besides, this is a company, and it must remain profitable at some time to continue to exist. “Customer lifetime value (CLV)” is a success indicator specific merchants use.
Another viable business model is the DTC subscription, in which customers join up for repeated product delivery. You may already be utilizing the DTC model to purchase items.
Starting a clothing business is difficult, but it can also be lucrative. Successful entrepreneurs understand that business success is about simply the product or service they provide. They know their target audience and rivals, create an executable strategy to attain the goals they set for their business, work hard to advertise themselves and their offerings successfully, and learn from their failures.
FAQs: Clothing Business
Q. how much would it cost to launch a clothing line.
Ans. Startup expenses vary considerably amongst clothing brands; however, a small clothing brand will need at least $500 to launch, a medium-sized line would need between Rs 1,00,000 and Rs 5,00,000, and a signature line will need between Rs 25,00,000 and Rs 50,00,000 upfront.
Q. Is it difficult to establish a clothes company?
Ans. Starting a clothing business is exhilarating, but it can also be challenging. Before you jump in headlong, think about all of the factors to begin and sustain a clothing company.
Most Profitable Coconut Based Business Ideas for Start-ups
Top 10 cnc machine manufacturing companies in india, you might also like..., 10 tips to select right material handling trolleys for heavy loads, how to start pine oil business in india #2023, how to start induction stove manufacturing business in india.
- Business Tips
- Success Stories
- Business Ideas
- Trending Now
- Web Stories